Saturday, October 17, 2009

Spotlighting on Ryan Higa

Nowadays we see advertisements everywhere. We’ve been surrounded by commercials everyday; from the television to the internet, from the flyers to the billboard.
Here’s a sample of an advertisement not found in television broadcast commercials, but uniquely available in the internet.



The producer, Ryan Higa, well known as Nigahiga, is a one of the most popular vloggers (video bloggers) in Youtube. He had made many videos with his friends, all of which are hilarious. In this short advertisement clip, he is obviously conveying a message to introduce the audiences about his product, Hook on Fonik. He used a powerful mass media as the medium to pass on the messages. He even made his ad most influential as he could by getting feedbacks from his so-called customers, regardless of whether his audiences are active or passive. Just to add on to the effectiveness of selling the product, he even gives promotions in a very special way. After finished watching the advertisement, and to assume that it is true, do you think you would buy his product?

On a completely unrelated note, still spotlighting on Ryan Higa, I’ve seen many of his hilarious videos which I believe most would not dare to do because he doesn’t mind acting silly or stupid in front of the camera. I am sure most people would feel embarrassed if they were to do something like that, because I do. Anyhow, of all the videos I’ve seen, I would like to conclude that Ryan Higa is an individualist, who is quite honest in some ways. Also, he does not care how people look and think of him.

Do you fart? Well, yes, all of us do. But do we let it out proudly in public? That, I don’t think so. Now, do you make a video about fart? Let’s watch the following video.



Most of us think that farting in public is impolite, and more than half of these sums think that farting is immature, according to Ryan Higa in the video. Therefore, as a viewer, it is very noticeable for me that he is categorized as an individualist, because he thinks differently from others. He does not follow what the community thinks about fart. He has a mind of his own which he feels comfortable with.

To further illustrate, there’s another video clip about how he thinks about nosy people.



Would you criticize about nosy people in public with your friends or just keep it to yourself? Because Ryan Higa isn’t afraid to even make a video just to talk about nosy people. See how he acts like an individualist?

However, all these are merely my personal opinion about Ryan Higa, and have no means of criticism. In fact, it is part of my admiration towards him.

3 comments:

  1. For my case, I would talk about nosy people with my friends and not keep it all to myself. However, I would not have the courage to confront someone whom I think is nosy, moreover create a video like this. I believe that this is because of the society in which we live in. Our Asian society is such a collectivist one that it is not a social norm to stand up to someone and confront them. Instead, we would pretend that the person is invisible. Hence, I tend to admire those who dare to stand out and be different from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAH. Ryan Higa is indeed an individualist. he has his own hilarious opinion on the world around him. i like his style. i think its true tho wen he said GIRLS DON FART.hahahaha..u hv to understand us girls, we're tryin to maintain our girly appearance in front of u demanding boys.pls understand us. haha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. communications: yes, i tend to admire individualists too, being a collectivist myself, i sometimes hope i could be like the individualists and dare to be different from the others.

    ReplyDelete