Saturday, October 10, 2009

A moment not to be forgotten

Another unit of communication had just been wrapped up in last weeks’ lectures, and the topic covered was about group communication. Having known to all, group communication is about communicating in a group. Nevertheless, there are many things going around in a group communication, where even we, being the members of the group might not figure it out. If we think about it long and hard enough, group communication actually plays an important role in our lives.

More than half of the time, we are actually communicating in a group rather than just chatting with another person. Depending on how you interpret it, the size of a group may vary. Even having three persons hanging out together can be counted as a group, perhaps a small group. Therefore, communicating in a group is simply inevitable in lives, for we would be making friends and hang out together, otherwise just doing some group project with our group mates assigned by the instructor and so on.

In our own groups, we give support and full commitment to our members; we help each other out in many ways. For example, we usually need a group to make complex decisions, and also criticisms; after all, criticisms help to improve us in one way or another.

I remember when I first attended my college last year; my English course lecturer gave the class a marketing project to follow. She assigned us into groups of six. In my group I was chosen as the leader, which I am definitely not good at. I never had the ability to lead, hence, being the leader, I was really a slow one. I have no idea at all what I should do, being a follower as I had always been, my mind was a total blank at that very moment. Nonetheless, having assigned to a group of new friends, I was glad though. My group mates never gave up on me. They supported me all the way until the presentation, which was the last part of the whole project. Without them, I wouldn’t have done a good job that was presentable.

During the time when we worked together as a group, my group mates took their responsibilities and played their respective roles without needing me to worry about them as I was already had a lot to worry about myself, whether or not I was able to play my part as a leader.

As said, I could never have done it successfully without them. For that reason, I knew that group projects were never easy unless all the group members really take the initiative to work together and support each other in every way possible.

With that said, I wish all the communication groups good luck and have fun working with your own group members.

1 comment:

  1. very true. i guess it's safe for me to say that i've had my fair share of problems with being the leader to a task-oriented group. and for some reasons, i always end up with the weirdest combinations of people, which makes it harder for me to play my role as a leader. i was just glad we are always able to find our way out of the problems simply by discussing about our issues

    ReplyDelete